The Green Gun

Gun safety, politics, & perspective from a Libertarian leaning environmentalist. The purpose of this blog is to shed more light on the subject of safe & legal gun use in the USA with the aim of dispelling much of the fear that surrounds guns & gun ownership by those who are not familiar with firearms.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Jews with Guns

So, one Jewish Woman was killed, and five other Jewish women were wounded when a gunman opened fire at a Jewish organization that had organized a rally in support of Israel, and eyewitnesses say that the man had shouted, "I'm a Muslim American, I'm angry at Israel", before the shooting.

And again, anti-semitism rears its ugly head. I was born of a Jewish mother to an Episcopalian father, the two of whom had engaged in a Hindu wedding in the 70's. So, by Jewish law, that makes me Jewish, which makes me especially aware of anti-semitic crimes. Although I have converted to Christianity, by blood, I am still semitic. A Jew for Jesus, if you will.

As an American, I see a crime like this, and I think, "it is sad that this man went bezerk, but removing his lethal capability would likewise remove our defensive capability." In Israel, I doubt this would have happened. Why? The Jews are armed to the teeth there, and for good reason. Here in the USA, we have organizations like The Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership who advocate arming minorities, especially Jews, in order to prevent hate crimes such as this.

Hate crimes are despicable wherever they occur, yet I would argue that the best way to prevent them is not to attempt to disarm the perpretrator, rather to arm the victim. Groups such as The Pink Pistols attempt to do just that. As they say, "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed." If there are hate crimes against Jews and Homosexuals, why not just arm them? 12 rounds of 9mm will do more to stop a bigot than will hate crime legislation.

It is for this reason that I am willing to train anyone who asks me about how to use firearms, and it is one of the main reasons for the creation of this blog. I live in Norfolk, Virginia. Anyone who is local who would like to learn how to protect themselves with firearms, I am willing to train for free. By doing this, I feel that I can help put an end to hate crimes, by arming those who are hated.

2 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think the average woman would rather have
(A) the memory of having been raped
or
(B) the memory of
1. Shooting someone and possibly
2. Taking a human life ?

Personally, when I think about rape (the idea of having someone forcibly invade my body), I'd much rather pull off a few shots, and let God decide my attacker's fate. It puzzles me that more women don't agree, but I can tell you this much- the few rape victims I know both agree with me, and don't carry a gun. Puzzling, indeed...

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger The Green Gun said...

I cannot speak to what the 'average' woman would rather have, but I find no moral qualm in defending oneself from an attacker.

1) It is still quite possible to shoot the attacker & disable him without killing him. Unless it's a brain or heart shot, the attacker could be disabled and then treated by a doctor later.
2) In most cases, just having a weapon present will concince the attacker to retreat.

Furthermore, what gauruntee would the raped woman have that the rapist would let her live afterwards? None, really. So, it really is a life or death question.

A coworker of mine told me a story about how when she lived in downtown Norfolk with her Husband some years ago, that a would be rapist broke into their home at night, not expecting that the husband would be there. Well, when the couple heard a sound, the husband went to investigate, and ended up fighting off the intruder. It didn't take much to convince the would be rapist to flee the premesis. For the record, this couple now lives in Virgina Beach, and they own firearms now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home